We could do a yoga retreat in your backyard or in the comfort of our home and it would be tremendously beneficial. So why go to far away places for a yoga retreat? The word retreat inspires an escape from our everyday lives. Sometimes, in order to restore our minds and bodies, a change of scenery and environment is necessary. Therefore, when we are searching for the place to go on our next retreat, keep these places for yoga retreats around the world in mind.
And each offers just what we need – a relaxing travel escape from daily life to experience mind, body and spiritual activities. So without further ado, please enjoy reading this list of the top 10 affordable wellness retreats happening in April 2020.
Now I know what you’re thinking. If this retreat is affordable will it really be good? That’s intuitive and smart skepticism, but guess what? Yep, these wellness retreats are good.
We are talking about a bucket list, good destinations and wellness programs you will never forget such as these :
- Exotic Bali
- Costa Rica
- Beautiful, peaceful rural Pennsylvania, U.S.
- New York
- Serene Sri Lanka
- Stunning Sicily
- Alluring southwest France
- The majestic Greek island of Crete
- Mellow Jamaica
- The towering Austrian Alps
- Tantalizing Thailand
- The breathtaking Pyrenees outside Barcelona, Spain
Bali, in Indonesia, has become to be the Southeast Asian island of choice for yogis and pilgrimage. Bali is everything you think of when you hear ‘island paradise.’ Known alternately as the ‘island of love’ and the ‘island of the gods,’ you’re bound to get something special from your time in Bali. Spirituality is rooted in Balinese culture and the Hindu religion. With Bali’s mindful atmosphere, it’s no surprise that world-class yoga studios have blossomed on the island, providing an oasis of peace for the body, mind and soul. The lush surroundings, tropical forests and the ocean will enrich your yoga experience. If you visit Bali’s studios, you’ll see how a location can improve your daily yoga practice. Many people opt to do their yoga teacher training in Bali.
These are the places you may want to consider for your getaway retreat:
- The Chillhouse Canggu – one of the first ever places in Canggu and one of the most popular Bali retreats. It successfully combines yoga classes with surfing, and body and soul treatments. The organic food is absolutely delicious, completing the house’s mission for improving body and spiritual health. The Chillhouse attracts people between 25 and 40 years to find peace and fun while living together. Lay your head at their stylish accommodation which is located a little outside the busy main area of Canggu and includes 2 yoga sessions per day, plus a rich and healthy breakfast as well as fruit all day long.
- Desa Seni – a much more than just a meditation retreat in Bali. If you want to discover the traditions and local culture in Indonesia, this is the place to be. It is internationally accredited by the Yoga Alliance. You will meet the best of the best yoga teachers, who are ready to take your practice to the next level. Join one or more of the daily yoga classes and then indulge your senses in their holistic spa and have a delicious organic lunch. The prices range from $10 for a drop-in yoga class, to $50 for 6 yoga classes. You can also opt for a private yoga teacher for approx. $60 per session too.
- Bagus Jati Health Retreat – located in Bali’s untouched tropical jungle. It offers an incredible view over the surrounding valley. The unique architecture amplifies the love that has been put into building this health and well-being retreat. Apart from yoga, you can also relax in the hot tub, the spa or sauna, and in the outdoor swimming pool or lush garden. Book the Chalet Room, it’s just pure BAGUS!
- Como Shambala – Ubud yoga retreat that is exactly what you need if you want to change your life. The yoga experts, Ayurvedic doctors and dieticians are here to make this the best yoga experience you’ve ever had! You can also enjoy other activities such as hiking, biking and climbing. Whatever you want to do, whether enjoying a yoga vacation for singles, or going together with your friends, partner or family, Como Shambhala is a good choice. You can opt for several packages, make sure to check out the 3-night package to get the most out of their wellness, Ayurvedic treatments and cleanse program offering.
- Azadi Retreat – located approximately 4 kilometers away from Ubud. Therefore, if you miss the city life, you can easily access it from here. Combine yoga sessions with tours to the most popular Bali destinations. The services of this top Bali yoga retreat are splendid. The hotel has 9 guest rooms where you can benefit from wifi, air conditioning, room service, etc. You can fill your daily schedule with massage therapies and spa. If you are looking for an adventure, you can book in for horseback riding or a day trip to the ocean to go snorkeling or surfing.
- The Yoga Barn Ubud – an Ubud institution that will impress you with its calm and quiet from the first minute you enter. Stay at your preferred accommodation nearby a yoga barn or, if available, you can choose from 9 double rooms or stay in the dorm room featuring 4 beds. There is a swimming pool to cool off and friendly room service. Enjoy a rich breakfast served at the Garden Kafe, located at just a stone’s throw away from your room. Plus, you have access to the Ayurvedic spa, massage, detox sessions, and a variety of daily yoga classes and workshops.
- Soulshine Bali – a luxury yoga retreat situated just 10 minutes away from Ubud center. The passion for beauty and luxury can be seen everywhere, starting from the handcrafted furniture and combined with the antique pieces you will find in each room. And you don’t want to miss their infinity pool! The menu will surprise you with local flavours offering delicious vegan and vegetarian dishes. As soon as you finish the yoga session, you can use your newly found energy to jump on a bike tour, cooking class or simply explore the surroundings by scooter.
- The Palm Tree House Canggu – a women’s yoga retreat in Bali’s up and coming hotspot Canggu. If you are into a healthy lifestyle close to the ocean, combining yoga with surfing or walking barefoot all day, The Palm Tree House is your ultimate health retreat in Bali! In addition, you can enjoy the daily spa treatments and spoil yourself with unique moments of relaxation. The staff is very friendly, making you feel part of their family, even if you are travelling by yourself. When it comes to accommodation, you can choose one of the luxury villas that are part of this boutique Bali retreat. Each of them has a bar area with free ice tea and cucumber water. Plus a private pool and shaded areas with beds to relax in, read a book or just enjoy the silence. The packages are typically for 7 days and combine yoga classes with other activities as well as having delicious meals, massage, and city tours.
- Fivelements Puri Ahimsa Retreat – an award-winning yoga retreat located just a short 20 minutes away from Ubud. This luxury yoga retreat offers a complete wellness experience. Surrounded by tropical greenery, this eco-conscious wellness retreat simply abounds of peace and relaxation. The open-concept villas are equipped with wifi, iPod docks, a spa and outdoor pool. You can enjoy your yoga classes at the healing center and combine them with a relaxing Balinese massage which will make you come back for more each day, guaranteed! Taste some of the most delicious Indonesian and Western dishes which can meet even the pickiest tastes.
- Floating Leaf Eco Retreat – an eco-luxury retreat that accommodates yoga classes, lectures and performances. It also features stunning rooms and pool in an inspiring atmosphere, which heralds it one of “Asia’s best places to practice yoga”. Offers breathtaking views over the holy Mount Agung, Floating Leaf was nominated as one of the world’s best yoga and wellness retreats by Conde Nast Traveler in 2017. Furthermore, you can also participate in healing ceremonies or adventure yourself down to the beach for a day trip to the best diving spots, surfing and snorkeling. Or join the Balinese Priestess on a volcano spiritual pilgrimage and find your inner self at the Purification center.
Costa Rica is a rugged, rainforested Central American country with coastlines on the Caribbean and Pacific. It is well known for its biodiversity, rainforests, adventure tours, great surf and friendly locals. This Central American country is also immensely popular with yoga retreat lovers. Like Bali, there are plentiful yoga retreat centers in Costa Rica. What’s more, if you want to go on a yoga retreat, but don’t want to be too hard on your wallet, affordable yoga retreats in Costa Rica are easy to find. For a really special experience, here are some of the recommended places to go for your retreat:
- Pranamar Oceanfront Villas – a Balinese-inspired boutique hotel located on Playa Hermosa in Santa Teresa.
- Anamaya Resort – a luxury boutique retreat center that is elevated above the peaceful bohemian town of Montezuma
- Diamante Center – a wellness and education center located in the heart of the Diamante Valley.
- Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa – an eco-friendly destination located on the Osa Peninsula, just a stone’s throw away from the beach.
- Nosara Yoga Institute – a famous retreat and teacher training center since 1994.
- Cala Luna – a luxury boutique hotel located near Playa Langosta. The hotel is made up of a series of completely detached villas with their own ppls, kitchens, driveways and backyards.
- Samasati Nature Retreat – located on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica, it has two yoga and meditation centers, a juice bar, an open air restaurant, a spa and an outdoor jacuzzi.
- Punta Mona – an educational center and a retreat located on the Caribbean coast and is referred to as “the land of freedom.”
Beautiful, peaceful rural Pennsylvania, U.S.
The United States has a huge variety of yoga retreats happening right now. There are spiritual retreats alongside adventure retreats, each of which depends on the location. The West Coast houses some of the best yoga retreats in the country, thanks to the hotspots throughout California.
Pennsylvania also has a strong yoga culture, hosting the majority of American retreats this year. Here are some of the places in Pennsylvania to where you can escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life:
- Pocono Mountains, Beach Lake, Pennsylvania, United States
California has long been popular for travelers seeking a higher level of health, fitness, and inner peace. since the late 1970s. Retreats can be found all across the Golden State, from the beach yoga culture in Southern California to the breezily beautiful Central Coast and remote northern regions. Don’t worry—it’s not all sweat lodges and wheat-grass shots. An increasing number of hotels and tour groups offer fresh twists on the traditional fitness vacation with plenty of luxurious and unexpected additions. Whether you’re looking to unwind on horseback, exercise around the clock, or explore vibrant marine life, there are many interesting ways to hit that reset button in your mind in this Golden State.
Popular places in California for good getaway are:
- Shasta Abbey – a Buddhist monastery that welcomes outsiders into its beautiful, sacred space, located on a 16-acre forest near the base of Mount Shasta. There are guided meditation, Dharma talks and mindfulness available there.
- Ricochet Ridge Ranch – located in Fort Bragg, it offers a modern day retreat with full-day horseback riding along Mendocino County’s coastal trails and sandy surf. If watching rather than riding is more your speed, you can book a private tour at the Return to Freedom sanctuary in Lompoc where 400 wild horses and 29 burros roam freely.
- Westerbeke Ranch, Sonoma – It is all about balance at this Sonoma retreat. In wine country, feeling at one with the earth includes daily yoga classes, meditation, hikes, healthy farm-to-table meals, and nightly tastings best enjoyed before a dip in the hot tub. Retire to your private or shared cabin, nestled in among trees and gardens to connect with Nature.
- Trek from coastal redwoods to Yosemite’s waterfalls – You can hike through the redwoods of Muir Woods, along the cliffs of Point Reyes National Seashore, through the back country of Jack London State Park, and up to the waterfalls, domes, and sequoias of Yosemite National Park—all in one eight-day trip. Hikes vary from 2–9.5 miles and can depend on the weather, but you are sure to see some of the most jaw-dropping natural sights that California has to offer.
- La Playa Hotel, Carmel-by-the-sea – plays host to mindful-by-the-sea retreats.
- Carmel Valley Ranch, Carmel Valley – 500 acres of vineyards and hiking trails in Carmel Valley. The one- to four-bedroom guest suites which perfect for a couple or the whole family of four, include fireplaces and private-deck soaking tubs. One can fill the days of nonstop activities such as hiking, tennis, golf,a rchery, beekeeping and more.
- Base Camp Channel Islands – There is a five-day cruise offered by Lindblad Expeditions – National Geographic. Passengers will get up close with some of the marine creatures and animals inhabiting Channel Islands National Park’s largely untouched coastal ecosystem offshore between Yentura and Santa Barbara.
- The Ashram, Calabasas – nestled in the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains for nearly 45 years. Hollywood elites such as Julia Roberts, Gwyneth Paltrow and Oprah have all been there to tackle multiple fitness classes per day and 10-plus-mile hikes, fueled only by plant-based meals.
- Two Bunch Palms – resort in the middle of Desert Hot Springs for more than 75 years. Thanks to the natural aquifers found in the desert (30 minutes outside of Palm Springs), guests can soak in the healing mineral water under the shade of tamarisk trees. The spa menu includes adventure through unique therapies such as shiatsu, sound vibration healing and a sharman-lead class designed to find your spirit.
- Blue Sea Beach Hotel, San Diego – a resort overlooking the Pacific. You will be fully kitted out in head-to-toe surfind gear while enjoing unlimited lessons and surf tours up and down the San Diego coast. Organic meals, yoga classes and stretching sessions are available to support your daily habit.
Yes, you may be surprised that New York, renowned for its bustling financial center, also has a place for spiritual seekers who like to stretch for an enlightening and envigorating yoga getaway. Destinations such as Monticello, Phoenicia, Rhinebeck, Stockbridge and Boone (north Carolina) are accessible by car from Long Island. Each one promises an escape from the pressures of modern life through yoga, meditation, massage and more. Healthy, mostly vegetarian cuisine and beautiful outdoor surroundings come at no extra charge.
An island synonymous with lively parties, crazy nights out and youthful abandonment, for those of us after something a little more indulgent, there’s a side less publicised to Ibiza. Nestled away from the party strip are many idyllic hotels and spas, home to restorative wellness and fitness retreats. Explore the Spanish paradise in a different light (one that’s soft and accompanied by soothing sounds of the sea) and kick start a healthier lifestyle.
Here are some of the places where you can getaway for a retreat in Ibiza:
- Pure House Ibiza – a rustic-luxe hotel set on a 30-acre estate of olive groves and fragrant fruit trees. It has a serene 75-foot saltwater swimming pool where the bronzed and the beautiful kick back. Inside, the suites are just as conducive to R&R, thanks to a muted color palette, Balinese furniture, bohemian artwork, and shady terraces that look out over the verdant landscape. Once you’ve settled into your digs, tuck into locally-sourced tapas on the main patio or try an Pilates or yoga class in the outdoor studio.
- Ca Na Xica – On a prime plot of sun-soaked Ibizan countryside, this Spanish finca-inspired stay is only 25-minutes’ drive from Ibiza Town, but feels worlds away. Spend your days sunbathing at the elegant pool and on the hotel’s small, man-made beach. Enjoy skin-smoothing treatments at the spa or stroll the property’s rambling orchards, verdant olive groves, and red gravel paths. Once you have done some exploring, relax in your stylish, low-lying villa—all crisp white linens, hardwood French doors, glass showers, and private terraces that capitalize on the postcard-perfect views.
- La Granja Ibiza – a members-only club with a return-to-the-land concept. Travelers must apply before securing reservations at the hotel. It’s how the property cultivates “a spirit of organic togetherness,” and attracts the kind of traveler who would most benefit from the hotel’s roster of wellness centered activities, from guided group meditations to mescal rituals to lectures on diverse topics, such as the future of mobile societies. You can also learn all about biodynamic farming through a series of workshops and community-based projects. You can dine at the hotel’s farm-to-table restaurant, where everything is made with biodynamic homegrown fruits, vegetables, herbs and other small batch products. Your room is spartan yet serene, with dark-wood beamed ceilings, thick walls, earthy hues, and decorative sprigs of lavender.
- Es Cucons – a cozy farmhouse in the Santa Agnés valley, on the west side of the island. A short distance away from Cala Salada beach and the steep cliffs of Ses Balandres (a prime spot for photo ops), the property is secluded, but not without its share of nearby attractions (and on site amenities) to keep you busy. Start your day with a private yoga or meditation session in the outdoor studio, then go for a pool-side brunch of pastries, local fruit, and Iberian ham and cheese. If you want to do some exploring, borrow and bike and take in the valley, but keep an eye on the time: cocktails are served on the terrace at sunset, and there are fire-pits and candles come night time.
- Cas Gasi – you will sleep in converted barns and stables. But don’t let that fool you into thinking it is more shabby than chic. Richard Gere, Kate Moss, and the King and Queen of Norway have all stayed here, and rooms start at $400 a night. That price tag will get you an intimate guestroom with boho accents and jaw-dropping views of the surrounding countryside. During the day, there is a great view by the the pool, and the hotel restaurant serves a healthy lunch of seasonal Mediterranean dishes made using organic produce from the onsite garden.
- Atzaró – a family-run hotel near San Lorenzo and Santa Eulalia where cuisine and wellness are the main focal point. Everyday, you will find that a day is too short for the many activities available there – the spa, fitness club, yoga temple, and swimming pools, and dining at the hotel’s two restaurants: La Veranda, which serves vegetable-centric fare (think beetroot gazpacho and grilled octopus with yellow potatoes, asparagus and mushrooms), and Cala Nova, Atzarós beach club, where Peruvian fare comes with sea views and live music. The property has been owned and maintained by the same family for eight generations, so you can bet that service is stellar, as well.
- Hacienda Na Xamena – a cliffside hotel with a series of heated thalasso-therapy outdoor pools linked by waterfalls. The hotel is located on the northwest corner of the island. Because of its dramatic setting, it is also one of the most romantic hotels in Ibiza, which explains its popularity among couples and newlyweds. If you are celebrating a special occasion it is worth splurging on an Eden category room, which comes with a private garden, a hot tub and a rain shower with a glass wall. After taking a swim in the cascading pools, try a rejuvenating treatment at La Posidonia spa, named after the protected seaweed that grows around Ibiza, or lace up your sneakers and try a match of game of tennis or beach volleyball. For dinner, head for the terrace at Eden restaurant, which is the perfect spot to take in the sunset before heading to the lounge for live music and DJ performances.
- Los Jardines de Palerm – a 17th-century farmhouse, which is several steps away from buzzy San José, but quiet enough that you’ll leave feeling completely rejuvenated. The look is clean and minimalist, with sleek white walls and smooth stone floors, while the setting—towering palm trees, exotic plants, fragrant flowers—is gloriously untamed. Each of the 11 rooms have terraces with white daybeds, and simple-chic decor like natural wood furnishings, iron-woven lamps, platform beds, and marble showers. And while it’s tempting to spend all day in bed, you won’t want to miss out on breakfast— a healthful spread of fruit, yogurt, and freshly-baked bread, served on the stunning main terrace.
Oh, very important – before you get too exited and go for your yoga retreat in one of the above-mentioned places, don’t forget to bring a yoga mat. You can find affordable but premium quality yoga mats here at My Outdoor Pal.